The Merchant of Venice
One of Shakespear's most popular comedies
The path to marriage is hazardous. To win Portia, Bassanio must pass a test prescribed by her father’s will, choosing correctly among three caskets or chests.
Bassanio and Portia also face a magnificent villain, the moneylender Shylock.
The authoritative edition of The Merchant of Venice from The Folger Shakespeare Library, the trusted and widely used Shakespeare series for students and general readers, includes:
- Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play
- Newly revised commentary notes
- Scene-by-scene plot summaries
- A key to the play’s famous lines and phrases
- An introduction to reading Shakespeare’s language
- An essay by a leading Shakespeare scholar providing a modern perspective on the play
- Fresh images from the Folger Shakespeare Library’s vast holdings of rare books
- An up-to-date annotated guide to further reading