Developing Poetry Skills: Reading Poetry 11-14
Heinemann: Geoff Barton
Written by a leading author, "Developing Poetry Skills" has been carefully structured to meet the varied demands of reading poetry at Key Stage 3 and beyond. The emphasis is on developing the skills required for tackling poetry while making it enjoyable and fun.
The activities develop throughout the book from encouraging a personal response to supporting pupils in writing more formally about the poems. The book provides a wide range of poetry, including pre-1900 texts, national curriculum recommended authors and a range of poetic genres.
- Early units are organised according to theme to stimulate interest and give pupils confidence.
- Later units are organised according to language, structure and genre to prepare pupils for the demands of national tests and beyond.
- Each poem is followed by activities which develop a full understanding of the poem.
- Each unit ends with a close reading activity - ideal for Key Stage 3 test practice.
- Technical terms are taught explicity and in context so that pupils can write accurately about the poems.
- A final unit bridges Key Stage 3 to Key Stage 4 with a series of comparative activities designed to prepare pupils for the demands of GCSE.